Saturday, February 4, 2012

Will miss you as a teacher, a friend and a hero.

These were the words that Jayme posted on FB after we heard of the sad death of our friend Aaron King. Aaron was a friend to everyone alike but especially the youth, he was a big kid himself, always had a joke and a smile. I remember the last time I spoke to him; he was sitting on the couch at church with Jayme & Aaron Bailey, they were laughing and joking, I said to them, "Hello three amigos, two young and one young at heart!" They laughed and I walked away. It wasn't even funny, but of course Aaron's goodwill wouldn't have allowed for anything else.

What I will mostly remember Aaron for was his wonderful example of dedication and love to his family. I was secretly envious and had shared with my friend that I wished my husband was more like Aaron. I wish that I had told him.

Emily and I wanted to sing in the choir at Aaron's funeral, it felt like our final service that we could do for him. There were approx 800 people filling up the rooms, the corridor and the courtyard outside. Sitting up the front facing the people was a special priviledge. I could see the faces as they looked on at Lisa, Jalen & Harri as they spoke and all I could see was a sea of faces all expressing their love for this wonderful and grieving family. The site was uplifting and sacred. As the coffin was taken out we sang, God be with you til we meet again. I felt overcome with the spirit and emotion and I knew Aaron was taken to a better place where he was happy to be with his beautiful son Noah who had passed away almost 4 months earlier.


There has been an outpouring of love for Lisa, Jalen, Harri and Kobe from all over the world. I know that it doesn't stop them grieving and missing Aaron and I along with everybody else wish we could take away their pain but we know life doesn't work like that. I'm so grateful for the knowledge of the plan of salvation and families are eternal, it gives us hope and a sense of peace.


Twice this week their story has been reported in the Examiner as people all over the world come together and show love and are inspired by Lisa and one another's goodness and willingness to give and care.
Aaron was one of those friends that I admired and warmed too and was grateful for his example but also took for granted, thinking that he'll always be around, one that I never expressed my gratitude too. I'm sure he knows now though, I'm sure he knows how each of us really felt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lisa, for this beautiful post.
Love Lorraine.
xxx

Kaz said...

A beautiful post. Such a strong, amazing family. My heart is so sad for them. The outpouring of support has been incredible.

Anonymous said...

good blog